Delayed payment of proceeds from Life Assurance - how to record?

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 01:24:55 EST 2014

I'm guessing you would want to create a transaction crediting Equity and
debiting your bank account, or wherever the cheque landed. Maybe you should
create a sub-account under Equity describing where the asset originated,
e.g., Equity:Pre-2010 Life Assurance Overdue . You could add a split
crediting Income:Taxable for the interest amount. I've done something
similar with transactions that pre-date the time I started using GnuCash,
but I'm no expert, so I'm curious as well.