Electronic Banking: which file type is best?

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:26:03 EST 2014

Hi Folks,

I use GnuCash 2.6.3 on a Win7-64 system.

When I download files from my bank and credit card web sites, it appears I
usually use files with the .OFX extension (Microsoft Money?).  My friends
at AMEX appear not to supply the data in OFX files any more.  Instead, they
offer Quickbooks (.qbo), Quicken (.QFX), or CSV (.CSV).

Of these three types above, which does GnuCash work with, and which is best
to import?

Does anyone else get .OFX files from AMEX?  Maybe it's something I'm doing
wrong?  Because old files I downloaded last year from AMEX are .OFX.

Is OFX going away and should I get used to a new file type?

  Thanks!

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis