list of github projects related to gnucash

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 01:56:46 EST 2014

Sun, 28 Dec 2014 00:06:03
<CAB2pxDsieQkZ1=-PwirysjD9pdMBv6GmM9X2UQ9w4OUhNg6X8Q at mail.gmail.com>
Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com>

>If you are interested, here is a list of all github projects related to
>gnucash in some way (in the sense they come up on github if you search
>"gnucash" ...):
>http://piecash.readthedocs.org/en/latest/doc/github_links.html

Fascinating stuff, thanks for that.

As an aside I'm not sure 12 months is a good measure of age in this
case.  Sensibly the age should be measured in terms of gnc changing file
formats with the milestones being

1) when did gnc last change XML format, if the project uses that

2) when did gnc begin to offer SQL backend storage (excluding the
unreliable prototypes), if the project uses that

I'm not suggesting you do any work, just pointing something out that an
observer might want to be aware of, for example, a budgeting tool that
can read gnc XML files might be useful even if it is a few years old.

If you want to expand things even more consider that more than one of
the projects write gnc data into ledger-cli and friends compatible (to
varying degrees) text files and some of the ledger-cli and friends read
gnc files directly.

I find the last interesting for three reasons

1) if I can't find the exact report I want I know I can do stuff with it
in the ledger-cli family format so I pull my data out (I use a slightly
modified version of MatzeB's work) and do stuff, write a report,
whatever

2) ledger-cli is a much more sensible format than QIF/OFX/QFX/CSV/etc
for importing and exporting accounting and finance related data because
it can encompass an entire set of information (a book, if you like)
rather than trying to define a transaction.  I see realistic round trip
export / import consistency there (something I think should be close to
your heart)

3) a number of the ledger-cli and friends projects already read the text
data and write it to an sql backend (see where this is going?) where it
can (surprise!) be used by any tool you want to get your reports in your
browser, spreadsheet, etc.

This all melds neatly with the gnc long term way of reporting and
hopefully where you are heading with your project if you see it as a
long term project rather than solving an immediate or personal problem.

--
Wm...