Stock price alerts using GNC-FQ

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 07:31:49 EST 2014

Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:43:10
<CA+E35_6y+-s3sUehJ70yz8jjpi9-E7mkRoT4NXam1P7e-Tr-qg at mail.gmail.com>
Edward Doolittle <edward.doolittle at gmail.com>

>I don't think gnucash is the right tool for that job.

Quite

>For monitoring an
>investment portfolio, I suggest looking at Google spreadsheets with the
>GoogleFinance() function for real-time(ish) quotes. I believe recent
>versions of Excel have similar functionality.

Close to real time quotes need to be paid for where I am.

The idea of gnc as an intraday trading tool is plain silly.

>However, buy and sell orders would have to be independently tracked in
>both
>the spreadsheet and in gnucash, which could be a minor or major
>irritation
(depending upon the rate at which the orders are produced).

My gut feeling is that around monthly at most is right for gnc type
stock info.

i.e. if you like to be in and out of something within days then don't
start here unless you want to record trades in which case you should be
fine.

--
Wm...