Budget - Monthly or Yearly?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 11:33:30 EST 2014

On 12/28/2014 4:07 PM, Chris Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Wm <wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:45:25 <5496F925.7020309 at gmail.com>  David Carlson <
>> david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
>>
>>  Actually, staying with the Clothing example, some retailers have major
>>> sales at certain times of year, or they rotate their inventory, only
>>> having spring clothing available in late winter and spring, so folks
>>> need to shop at a certain time to get certain products.  This is one
>>> purpose for a budget, so there is a plan to have money available at the
>>> proper time.
>>>
>> that is spreadsheet stuff, gnc's budgeting is sufficiently crap that you
>> shouldn't be using it if you require that level of detail.
>
> Wondering if anyone has any experience with Pear Budget Excel spread sheet.
> It seems to be popular but not sure how it stacks up against gnc budgeting.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Chris

Thanks for bringing this alternative to our attention.  I have not heard
of it before, but it looks like it would probably work nicely for many
people.  It seems to acknowledge and help to address the dilemma of
dealing with irregularly occurring expenses.

It is not double entry, which may be a negative for some GnuCash users.

When I was in high school I was taught about the "Envelope Budget",
which consisted of taking your income in cash and actually dividing it
up into envelopes for rent, etc., and that may still be the best for
some individuals.

Choose a tool that looks like it will work for you and try it.

David C