Summarizing annual donations to charity; digression

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 12:26:02 EST 2014

Tue, 30 Dec 2014 08:39:08 <54A2AAFC.9050005 at mtdata.com>  Mike or Penny
Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com>

>** Bear in mind that I am fairly familiar with double entry bookkeeping
>and understand "subsidiary books". So for us the "donations" books are
>a funny kind of books with no assets and zero equity. Just "income" for
>the total donations made (that's like income received from our personal
>books if we had those where there would be a corresponding expense
>account "donations". In other words, the donations details would be
>HERE (in this subsidiary book) rather than in the main books. Very much
>like a "petty cash" set of books.     In  our case three forms of
>"income" (child accounts), "check", "cash", and "kind" (physical goods
>donated).
>
>  Then the expense side is very much like I described before. When
>producing the reports no need to select accounts (all accounts in this
>subsidiary set of books are relevant) and in the transaction report the
>income side acts as a journal of our donations (well three remembering
>the three kinds, but almost all out donations are by check so that's
>the one that matters --- donations in cash mainly just what handed to
>street beggars, etc. and in kind donations very  rare.

do you actually maintain a different gnc file / book for this ?

keeping an org's books separate from one's own is sensible.

keeping a partner's / child's books separate is personal.

if I (mis)understand what you are saying you have a separate (in gnc
terms) book for donations.  the mention of petty cash is what alerted me
in the message above because I recall being confused by your reply when
I raised this casually some time ago.

obviously you don't have to answer this but do you have files for

M general
M donations
M petty_cash
M income
etc.

essentially recreating a complete manual set of books with each
subsidiary ledger represented by a gnc file ?

--
Wm...