Old Dog, New Tricks

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Wed Dec 31 14:06:15 EST 2014

Hi Patrick,
  As I said, I have not tried this. Getting my old tracking system set up in GnuCash was enough work for me this year, so this type of change will wait for another time. Because I have many other projects, I'm not likely to tackle this one in the near future.

  That said, I don't see how implementing the buckets in a separate equity account would make the credit card portion of your system easier to handle. I assume that you pay your credit card once a month, in full. I would think that you could have a separate bucket amongst all the other buckets designed to hold money to make those credit card payments. I'm imagining that you would move money from a budget bucket (such as Food) when you make a purchase with the credit card. That money would be moved to the credit card bucket. Then, when the payment is due on the credit card, there will be at least that much money in the credit card bucket. At the time of the payment, you would move the money from the credit card bucket to the actual credit card account to implement the payment that actually happens from your checking account to the credit card company.

  I do agree that this would treat the debit purchases differently from the credit purchases because they are different in the real world: Debit purchases remove the money from your control immediately; credit purchases leave you with a debt for some period of time that gets repaid as a lump sum.

Best,
John