Sharing payees across accounts

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sun Feb 2 03:55:27 EST 2014

On 02/01/2014 05:50 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2014, at 4:26 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> Just a point regarding semantics: you tell the OP that GnuCash doesn't have a "Payee".  However, it seems to me that what GnuCash calls the "Description" is functionally the same as the "Payee." It is presented in GC in the same location that traditional printed checkbook registers place the "Payee"; it is used on printed checks in GC for the "Payee" on the check; and, chapter 6.14 of the Help manual identifies that data element as the "Payee."
>>
>> Furthermore, most reports include the option of sorting (and subtotalling) on the Description (i.e., "Payee") field. I use this to check the accuracy of my data entry.
> David,
>
> Sometimes. Other times it’s a payer. Still other times—stock trades come to mind—it’s actually a description. All of which is rather beside the point of the OP’s question and use-case.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks to whoever decided to bring up the term "payee".  This has been
bugging me for a long time.  If a cash account is opened for data entry,
the work "Description", more apt for a "general journal" entry, should
be changed to "Payee".  Probably not a problem, just a simple if/then
statement.

John