Sharing payees across accounts

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sun Feb 2 23:36:26 EST 2014

On 02/02/2014 07:09 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2014, at 12:55 AM, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> Sometimes. Other times it’s a payer. Still other times—stock trades come to mind—it’s actually a description. All of which is rather beside the point of the OP’s question and use-case.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>
>> Thanks to whoever decided to bring up the term "payee".  This has been bugging me for a long time.  If a cash account is opened for data entry, the work "Description", more apt for a "general journal" entry, should be changed to "Payee".  Probably not a problem, just a simple if/then statement.
> I disagree. Sometimes the description contains the payee, sometimes the payer, sometimes neither. For example, consider a brokerage cash account. I usually describe a stock buy as "Buy FOO NNNN", with FOO being the stock symbol and NNNN the number of shares. No payee there: The money isn't going to FOO, it's going (mostly) to some anonymous entity which is selling  A dividend might be "Div FOO", which does indicate the payer but also indicates why they're giving me money.
>
> Of consider a credit card account. True, most of the entries will contain the payee, but credit card company fees will be descriptive ("finance charge", "late fee"), as will the payment transaction.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I don't do buy/sell of investments via gnucash or any other general
ledger program, but I would assume that yo want a record of the entity
that you send the money to (Merril Lynch, etc.).  If you are tracking
your broker's activity, an a parallel basic, then I decline to comment,
as I have never done that.  I use a spreadsheet for that.  Re: the
credit card, that's different.  I pay for a lot of business expenses via
credit card.  I have a liability account set up for each credit card.
When I purchase, I credit the card liability account and debit the
expense account.  When I pay, I credit cash and debit the cc liability
account.  Any fees or interest are treated like a purchase.  The payee,
instead of Harry Gas, is Discover.  This way I can find all the
purchases at Harry's Gas and all charges and payments  paid to
Discover.  I use a document field to tell me the statement month/year
and abrev for the cc name, e.g."DISC0214".  This way I can see all the
activity on a certain statement.  I have an interest expense account
when any interest and fees go.  My over inflated ego will not allow me
to have a "late fee" account in my chart of accounts.

I would be putting your stock symbol, etc, in a memo field.

John