Trouble setting accounting period

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Feb 5 15:31:29 EST 2014

ANTHONY NELSON wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>My CPA wants me to run some reports from last year, which for me ended 9/30/2012.
>
>When I go to the Accounting Period screen and set the accounting period properly the change does not seem to take.  See screen shot:
>

>When I run a report or even get out of GnuCash Preferences and go back in the accounting period is back to the current year rather than what I have set.  I've tried to save the file, quit out of GnuCash, and go back in, but that does not work either.
>
>Also, I notice on Preferences screens there is a "Close" button, but not a "Save" button.
>
>How can I get around this problem?

By learning how and where you set the date range when running a report?

When new with some piece of software early on you want to learn how it
works. In the case of gnucash reports, you want to learn how you specify
all the options you want in effect for THIS run of the report. There are
LOTS of options. These include things like what accounts to include, how
deep to show nesting, how and what to subtotal, what you want the
reports called and what title should display, AND (very important in
your case) the DATES for this running of this report.

If you had thought about for a moment you might have realized that
needing to (re)produce reports for times not the current real time would
be so common that this wouldn't be something you'd want in global
preferences.

OK -----
1) run a report (for the moment ignore that the dates aren't what you want)
2) Edit => Report Options
   This brings up for you a menu where you have pages of options you can
change. I suggest in the learning phase you go through this and find out
about ALL of the things you can change. Among them will be the effective
dates for the running of this report (change those, apply, and the
report will change).

Michael