Trouble setting accounting period

Graham P Davis hacker at scarlet-jade.com
Wed Feb 5 16:13:27 EST 2014

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:31:29 -0500
Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

> ANTHONY NELSON wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >My CPA wants me to run some reports from last year, which for me
> >ended 9/30/2012.
> >
> >When I go to the Accounting Period screen and set the accounting
> >period properly the change does not seem to take.  See screen shot:
> >

> >When I run a report or even get out of GnuCash Preferences and go
> >back in the accounting period is back to the current year rather
> >than what I have set.  I've tried to save the file, quit out of
> >GnuCash, and go back in, but that does not work either.
> >
> >Also, I notice on Preferences screens there is a "Close" button, but
> >not a "Save" button.
> >
> >How can I get around this problem?
> >

> By learning how and where you set the date range when running a
> report?
>
> When new with some piece of software early on you want to learn how
> it works. In the case of gnucash reports, you want to learn how you
> specify all the options you want in effect for THIS run of the
> report. There are LOTS of options. These include things like what
> accounts to include, how deep to show nesting, how and what to
> subtotal, what you want the reports called and what title should
> display, AND (very important in your case) the DATES for this running
> of this report.
>
> If you had thought about for a moment you might have realized that
> needing to (re)produce reports for times not the current real time
> would be so common that this wouldn't be something you'd want in
> global preferences.
>
> OK -----
> 1) run a report (for the moment ignore that the dates aren't what you
> want) 2) Edit => Report Options
>    This brings up for you a menu where you have pages of options you
> can change. I suggest in the learning phase you go through this and
> find out about ALL of the things you can change. Among them will be
> the effective dates for the running of this report (change those,
> apply, and the report will change).
>
> Michael

Yes, that will work but what Anthony, myself and others are doing is
also correct practice. It's just that it's no longer working.

Reports we want to produce are for the 'accounting period' which only
needs to be set once per year - or at least that used to be the case
until something broke in the past year, probably with the introduction
of 2.6.0.

I suggest you don't be quite so patronising when next you respond to a
request for assistance.

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit); KDE 4.12.2; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;