Recategorizing / bulk acount changing

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Feb 6 09:45:51 EST 2014

David T. wrote:

>You have read the documentation correctly, There really is no way to change most (but not all) transactions in an account register to a different destination. My experience is that this sort of need decreases as you get your books the way you actually need them.

Well ............ Were I faced with this problem, if I had the
capability of ........
1) Changing ALL transactions going to account A to account B
2) Changing one at a time transactions from account A to account B
3) And the need to change 100 of 102 transactions in account C so the
other account were B and not A (or a similar most but not all)

I would note down carefully the two that were NOT supposed to change.
I would change all 102 of them
I would change the 2 back

Michael

PS: I might help if we had a description of exactly what you were trying
to do. Can I give an examples?

Problem --- Decision to change the chart of accounts splitting account A
into two accounts, A and B. The split is very uneven with 95 of the 100
transactions moving to B and only 5 remaining in A (that's a most but
not all "move" situation).

Easy! After first carefully noting down the five transactions that were
to remain in A I would rename A to B and (re)create "new" (empty)
account A. I would then go to the those five transactions one at a time
(in the account(s) of the other side of those transactions) and change B
to A.