Python bindings on Mac OS 10.9

Alexandro Colorado jza at oooes.org
Thu Feb 6 08:18:17 EST 2014

OpenOffice includes Python in the application and also includes the csv
module.  On linux is:
/opt/openoffice4/program/python-core-2.7.5/lib/csv.py

Where /opt/ is the installation folder. On Windows this could be C:\Program
Files\OpenOffice 4/

Mac would be like Applications or something.

Also you can easily insert information from OpenOffice itself through
macros which work on Basic. Please read:
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide

There is a python guide too, but this is just another route to go.

A third route is to use python modules to generate or transcode to ODF,
something like ODFpy to convert from one format to the next:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/odfpy
It includes csv2odf (spreadsheet)

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM, R. Victor Klassen <rvklassen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I’d like to export all transactions from last year to a spreadsheet.  Thus
> far, when I’ve tried to export a transaction report, the .html file it
> produces either completely or mostly hangs OpenOffice, and I haven’t been
> able to copy-paste it into Calc from the word processor that opens it by
> default.
>
> So I thought I’d give python bindings a try - to see if I could just
> export all the transactions to a .csv format.
>
> As far as I understand, python bindings requires compiling the source,
> right?
>
> When I try to do that I wind up going down a series of rabbit holes
> looking for one library after another.  First I needed intltool.  Then I
> needed gettext.  Then I needed to find glib.  And in order to even install
> glib I needed libffi.
>
> Surely it can’t be this hard.  Am I doing something wrong?

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://www.openoffice.org