Installing on Mac

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Feb 8 09:54:33 EST 2014

On Feb 8, 2014, at 3:55 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to help a friend install GC on a Mac PPC running OSX
> 10.4.11.  On http://www.gnucash.org/download.phtml there is a link for
> a PPC download but it does not seem to work, and when I look in
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/2.6.1/
> there is an intel download but not a PPC one.
>
> I tried with 2.4.15 (I think, but it might have been 2.4.13) but the
> PPC version there said that it was not compatible with that version of
> the OS when I tried to run it.
>
> I have no previous experience of Macs and my friend is a basic level
> computer user.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

As I said at the time of the release, I had a disk crash with my PPC mac. I got that fixed only to have the microfuse for the display backlight blow, so it was down for over a week, and it was time to leave for a conference before I got the build completed. I'll be back tomorrow and get the build finished and uploaded by monday.

All that said, Derek is right: WebKit, even the ancient version shipped with GnuCash, uses 10.5 API and won't run on 10.4. The last version which ran on 10.4 was 2.2.9.

Regards,
John Ralls