Writing a script to import bank's csv file

Brendan S disposableemail at apps.opensourcelaw.biz
Mon Feb 10 02:31:32 EST 2014

Hi
I'm not really a gnucash user, but I want to use it to get some idea about
where my money is going.  I am writing a (python) script to:
* take a csv export from my bank account
* split it into transactions
* assign each transaction to an account (based on the vendor name); and
* write a qif file for import into gnucash.

I would be interested to know how I should go about naming the accounts.  At
the moment, I am putting most transactions into Expenses:<some account> but
it's not clear how I deal with (eg) transfers to credit card account.  Some
things I'd like to know are:
* if I get cash out at the supermarket, should I make that two transactions
(one to cash, one to expenses:groceries) or is this a "split"? (or doesn't
it matter if its being automated)
* if I import my credit card statement should those transactions be entered
against both Expense accounts and Liabilities:Credit Card as negative
numbers?
* how should I deal with checks?  ATM I am putting them into an
Expenses:check account with the intention of transferring them to another
account later.

Sorry if this sounds a little confused.

If there is interest I can post the script when it is ready.