Writing a script to import bank's csv file

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 17:57:25 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Brendan S <
> disposableemail at apps.opensourcelaw.biz> wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2014 12:35 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>> > Brendan S wrote:
>>
>> EFTPOS from check acct.  eg: $150 =  $50 purchase and $100 cash out.

>> So a payment from my check account to my credit card account would be a
>> debit to the credit card account and a credit to the check account?
>>
>> Brendan
>>  <https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user>
>>

> In addition to the GnuCash documentation, you might find some of the
> following helpful:
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Accounting_Questions
>
> As a rule of thumb, if you have a single transaction (such as you use a
> debit card -- AKA EFTPOS -- and some of the money comes to you as cash and
> some of it is spent on one or more different things) then you will need a
> split transaction.
>
> In the case of a debit card and getting cash in addition to a purchase, it
> might look like this in your books (you'll have to imagine the debit and
> credit columns as I'm not going to try to align them):
>
> Looking in BigBank's account:
>
> 2/10/2014    Grocery Store
>  memo line, if any, shows here
>  ...............Expenses:Groceries      $50.00  [left/debit column]
>  ...............Assets:Current Assets:Cash in Wallet:  $100.00 [left/debit]
>  ...............Assets:Current Assets:BigBank  $150.00 [right/credit]
>
> If you look in your "Cash in Wallet" account, you should see it increase
> by $100. If you look in your Expenses:Groceries account, you should see it
> increase by $50. If you look in BigBank's account, you should see it
> decrease by $150. If any of these things are not true, you got your debit
> vs credit confused.
>
> If you write a check or create a single debit transaction for a single
> purpose, then when you key it in you don't need to worry about splits.
> Internally, however there is ALWAYS a split because the money in a
> transaction has to come from somewhere and go somewhere else.
>
> Enter a few transactions by hand and have a look at the different ways you
> can view accounts when looking at a GnuCash register. View --> Double Line
> and using the "Split" button on the toolbar or the Auto-Split Ledger, for
> example.

I just realized when you wrote EFTPOS you meant what I call a "credit"
card, which carries a liability (from my perspective; it's an asset to the
bank). In other words, you buy stuff which increases the amount you owe to
the bank, which you pay down monthly.

SO pay attention to the columns, though by default GnuCash "helps" you by
swapping them for you so they look the same:

 ........Liabilities:Credit Cards:BigBank $150.00 [right/credit]

The transactions "SHOULD" be swapped on the other sides, and you can tell
GnuCash in its preferences, that you want to see the columns the "correct"
way.  :-)