403b loan

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Feb 11 09:04:18 EST 2014

PS:

OK, I 've looked up what a 403b is and had these been described by the
older term TSA* I would have recognized them. But of course nowadays
allowed to be invested other than in annuities.

I will stand by what I said about needing to read all the fine print
(which I have not yet done) or speak with a tax advisor. As I understand
it, the main difference between 403b plans and 401k plans is the former
are easier to administer and need not pass a "discrimination" test**,
just be universally available. But I did see something about maybe not
having the same age requirements. Read the fine print! All of it. The
IRS folks are not forgiving "persons whose parents were not married to
each other".

Michael

* Because the "financial" for whom I did software was MassMutual (life
insurance) and we offered TSA products.

** A 401k must not only be universally available to all who work for the
business sponsoring the plan but must actually be taken advantage of
across the board; can't just favor the higher paid employees, those may
be in a better position to be able to afford higher contributions. A
401k that "discriminated" against the lower paid workers (evidence; they
chose not to participate) would be disallowed. The 403b has no such
requirement but that makes sense as statistics aren't valid for small
numbers (intended for things like a church which might have just a
minister, sexton, choir director, and a few office workers/cleaning
staff as paid workers)