cannot install gc 2.6 for ubuntu

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Wed Feb 12 03:31:51 EST 2014

On 02/11/2014 11:57 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 12 February 2014 05:04, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
>> On 02/11/2014 12:38 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>>> $ sudo apt-get purge gnucash gnucash-common gnucash-docs
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get clean
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get install gnucash gnucash-common gnucash-docs
>>>
>> I followed the three commands.  It also asked me to run "apt-get autoremove"
>> which I did.  I can now access gc 2.6 with no problem. My Q: Why is this not
>> clearly explained on the GC page re: installing.  Each command with an
>> explanation so people (like me!) will learn as we do it, and save the tough
>> questions (what does debit mean :) ) for the gc gurus.
> Because it is not a GC issue.  It is probably a subtle issue to do
> with the getdeb repository which is not controlled by the GC
> developers.  A couple of questions that might help to determine the
> original cause.
> Before enabling the getdeb repository did you have GC installed from
> the standard Ubuntu repository?
Yes.
> Had you messed with GC in any way such as installing an updated FQ
> from somewhere or otherwise modifiying it?
Probably not because (a) I don't know what FQ nmeans, and (b) I normally
don't try to modify something that I don't know about.
> Prior to enabling getdeb did you do
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> to make sure everything was up to date?
Probably not, unless someone told me to.  There were instructions on the
get-deb site and when I executed them, I got lots of errors.

> Colin

Re: your comment at the top re: 'who's in charge', I see this as a
weakness in
Linux with respect to Windows.  Don't get me wrong.  I only use windows
when
a manufacturer requires me to to program their equipment remotely (video
DVRs
and alarm control panels), otherwise I use Linux, since the early '90s
RH 5.4, etc.

I will continue to use DOS in my office until some issues are solved
with Linux.

I see this as a problem, as GC is not addressing installing it on the
many distros,
and the distros are not dealing with the installation of the many
programs out there.  The
interesting part is that each needs the other, so there should either be
overlapping in
responsibility or a site both could link to which would show how to
install a
particular program on a particular distro.

By the way, the command line instructions are much cleared than a gui
with the actual commands hidden.  That may only be me.

Thank you for your help and persistence.

John