Checks

Gregory Forster fgreg74 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 12:51:33 EST 2014

Hi David,

     No, the detailed situation is that I was asked to be the Treasurer
by my Pastor at our church.  Since 1993, I've been the accountant. Over
the years, We've had many treasurers come and go. The Pastor asked me if
I could do both, being the treasurer and accountant.  I declined for two
reasons: First, it's a conflict of interest to have the same person
control the inflows and outflows and account for the inflows and
outflows. Second, each individual is a check on the other.  The
treasurer may find my mistakes, while I may find theirs.  It's a good
working relationship and pretty much eliminates the question of fraud as
a possible accusation by a third party. the Pastor said he needed
someone more  reliable and faithful to be the treasurer. I was thinking
of being the treasurer and still using GnuCash.  That way, I could use
GnuCash to write the checks and use GnuCash as a backup if the
accountant would default.  The desire to have check stubs is as a hard
copy backup when the computer goes down (not if, but when). Grant it,
I'm very religious when it comes to backing up my data on external hard
drives and USB flash drives.  I even use Truecrypt to encrypt my data
files.

     I no longer have my own tax accounting firm, or even an employee at
a tax accounting firm.  I am on permanent disability because of a brain
disease affecting my motor skills, but not my intellectual skills.  I
still love accounting.

     In your first reply, the documentation assumes I'm using Linux
(after Windows 7, I'm switching to Ubuntu again).  Unfortunately, I'm
using Windows 7.  The files talked about in the documentation, regarding
checks, I found in the C:\Program Files (x86) subdirectory and not the
C:\users subdirectory.  Dennis Shemer informed me that they were indeed
text files. Well, that allows me to do some more experimentation.