Advanced Portfolio report update

Richard Ullger rullger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 17:37:15 EST 2014

Hi Mike,

Please take this post as constructive comment based on my sole
requirements. I respect that other user's requirements may differ and
that you may decide to implement a different strategy for the report.

On 13/02/14 06:45, Mike Alexander wrote:
> I just checked in a new version of the Advanced Portfolio report which I
> think fixes all the reported problems with the previous version. Fixing
> these required essentially rewriting the main loop of the report.  As a
> result I may well have introduced new bugs so I would appreciate it if
> you would try it and see if it works correctly for your data.
>
> There are also two changes to the options in this version.  The
> brokerage fees option is now a three-valued switch: include in basis,
> include in gains/losses but not basis, or ignore.

Include brokerage fees in basis selected, ignore money moved to parent
and sibling accounts not selected...

Basis including expenses is correctly reported but money in is including
reinvestments making it exactly the same as the basis. I would prefer
money in to exclude reinvestments as that is not money I have put in
myself. Other users that have voiced a preference for money in to
include reinvestments could use the basis column as the two are exactly
the same.

I would prefer the income column to report the full income amount
received as in the previous version of the report instead of the
residual income that has not been reinvested. You could keep a separate
running total to use in the total return so that income doesn't get
doubly reported.

Where a stock account has no sells, money out is reporting the
reinvested income which I don't understand. I would expect money out to
report the value of shares sold (in this case zero) plus any income that
has not been reinvested.

> This version of the report calculates money in and out of the stock
> account directly instead of inferring it from other splits.  In
> connection with this change there is a new option that causes the report
> to ignore money into or out of an account that is the parent or a
> sibling of the account it is working on.  This can be used to make
> certain DRP transactions work better if the dividend passes through an
> parent or sibling account before being reinvested.

Include brokerage fees in basis selected, ignore money moved to parent
and sibling accounts selected.

Without an example, I don't understand what the new option is intended
to do. Basis is ok but the money in and money out columns show zeros.
The rate of gain and rate of return columns are blank (not even zeroes).

Regards,

Richard.