is the invoice and bill terminology interchangeable

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Feb 17 11:35:08 EST 2014

On Monday 20 January 2014 00:04:46 neeraj rai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just downloaded the latest gnucash and paying with it to set up
> for small business. I noticed that I can hit Edit-> post invoice from
> bills and it does the right thing by creating an entry in payable. Is
> the bill and invoice cross usable as per gnu cash? The tutorials
> didn't seem to suggest this.

We do have some name confusion regarding invoices and bills. This begins
with the fact that internally in the gnucash code invoices and bills are
both referred to as invoices. Whether the document is a payable or
receivable is mostly determined by the owner (a vendor or customer).

The side effect of this is that not all parts of the gnucash interface
strictly use bill or invoice where it should. So in some cases "invoice"
in the interface can indeed refer to either a bill or an invoice,
depending on the type of document you are actually working on.

Geert