"correcting" transactions

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Thu Feb 20 22:25:01 EST 2014

I have been reading a lot recently about correcting, removing, etc.
transactions.  This is typically a no no in accounting.  I am not a CPA,
but I have a general idea of GAAP (generally accepted accounting
practices).  It does not allow for removing or editing existing
transactions without an audit trial.  A simple was to do these things is
to create "reversing entries" as general journal entries with
explanations.  If the business owner is the only person using gc, and
the resulting reports is only for his/her use, this is more of a
formality, but if a bookkeeper/embezzler is using gc, this allows
transactions to be hidden/altered.  Not a good thing.

John