Rounding issues with

Guido Flohr guido.flohr at imperia.bg
Fri Feb 21 02:19:01 EST 2014

Am Dienstag, den 18.02.2014, 18:01 +0000 schrieb Mike or Penny Novack:
> >125.85 gross with a 20% VAT would correspond to a net price of 104.875.
> >Since net prices aren't priced to the thousandth of a Euro, that would
> >really be 104.87 or 104.88. For the former, the gross price would be
> >(unrounded) 124.844, which would round to 124.84. For the latter, the gross
> >price would be 125.856, which would round to 124.86.
> >

> I am totally unsure how we can be having a discussion about "rounding
> errors" with regard to tax computations without FIRST determining what
> the rules the jurisdiction imposes for computing the tax amount.

You can receive invoices from many different countries with different
rules for tax calculations.  And even if there was a world-wide
agreement on how taxes have to be calculated you may still receive
invoices with marginal rounding errors.

Most of my vendor invoices come from Bulgaria.  Some calculate the tax
based on net prices, some on gross prices.  Some calculate the tax per
row, some per item.  And some invoices suffer from rounding errors of
one stotinka (think: cent).  I have never received a complaint from tax
authorities for accepting and accounting all those invoices exactly as
they were issued.

The situation seems to be the same in Germany.

So, my problem is not that Gnucash calculates taxes incorrectly but that
it enforces its own calculation scheme on invoices that I receive, and
not only on those that I issue myself.

Somebody from the German mailing list recommended to create an account
"rounding errors" and book the marginal differences there.  Probably the
best solution for the time being.

Guido
--
Cantanea EOOD