"correcting" transactions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 21 11:42:58 EST 2014

On Feb 21, 2014, at 7:01 AM, R. Victor Klassen <rvklassen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would love the ability to set a date range read only - with the ability to over-write the read-only nature of the transaction with a warning.   That way if I accidentally enter a transaction with an unreasonable date (and I got to choose what was reasonable) I would be warned, and avoid having to search for a transaction because it disappeared to some date I didn’t intend.   I really don’t care that I could override the read-only nature of the date range.  Or that I could edit an XML file directly, or any of that.  Where only one or two people - that trust each other fully on the finances of this business - ever interact with GNUcash, it’s not fraud we’re worried about, it’s correcting mistakes - and better still avoiding them.

That's already in 2.6: File>Properties>Accounts>Day Threshold for Read-Only Transactions. The minimum is 1 day; 0 turns it off. It shouldn't be too hard to change that so that there's a separate boolean for enabled and 0 means that all transactions are read-only. Enabling prevents creating new transactions or editing old ones before the threshold date. No dialog box, it just won't create the date or open the transaction for editing.

Since it's easily adjusted in the UI it's obviously no help from a security standpoint, but it's there if you want protection from screw-ups.

Regards,
John Ralls