"correcting" transactions

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 18:12:49 EST 2014

On Feb 21, 2014, at 5:25 PM, David Beattie <dvdbeattie at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Victor,
>
> For marking transactions as read-only, with a dialog box to change them....  isn't that what clearing and reconciling is all about?  I reconcile my accounts regularly, and I find that I do, in fact, get a warning if I want to change data that's already been marked as reconciled.  It's not as automatic as the date range thing you're talking about, but it has the advantage that when an account is reconciled, you've double-checked the data integrity (via a bill, or a zero balance), and found the data to be correct at the time the transactions were marked reconciled.
>
> -

Actually, John’s answer comes closer.  First, not all accounts get reconciled - generally most accounts that don’t correspond to accounts held at institutions - bank, credit card, investment accounts do, but how many others? - and second, this doesn't prevent new transactions with out-of-range dates.

I say closer, since my first use would be to set the “read-only” date to the 31st of last year, and earlier, as soon as I’m done this year’s taxes.   I’ll think about how I would use the relative date control, [nothing older than a year ago?] but it’s not quite the same.