Maybe the last advanced portfolio update for now

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Feb 21 19:11:40 EST 2014

--On February 21, 2014 3:38:32 PM -0800 farleykj <farleykj at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Okay, Mike I have done a little time travel, and the numbers come up
> okay until I go past a transaction on 2013-05-28. It's the 8th buy
> transaction for this security, preceded by identical transactions
> (except for the cost and number of shares amounts). Account that is
> withdrawn from is the same for all transactions, etc.
> Are there any common mistakes made in transaction entry that I might
> be guilty of?

I gather that the basis goes to zero on that transaction and stays zero
for all future transactions.  Is that right?  I can't see how that is
possible.  I must be missing something.

If you specify average cost basis then it keeps track of the total
number of shares purchased and the average price per share.  For a new
purchase it calculates:

  total-shares = previous-total-shares + purchased-shares
  avg-price = (total-cost-of-this-purchase +
                 (previous-total-shares*previous-avg-price)) /
               (previous-total-shares + purchased-shares)

This seems right to me.

Can you give me an example that is failing?  A screen shot of the
register window might be enough, if it shows all the transactions up
through the point where it is failing.  You can send it to me directly
and not to the list.  Make sure the register view is in transaction
journal mode.

            Mike