"correcting" transactions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Feb 26 08:40:58 EST 2014

I think at this point there is confusion about EXACTLY what is being
asked for. That is why I earlier made the suggestion that a discussion
take place among those interested at the purely "business" level
(ignoring any questions about implementation INCLUDING implementations
via "work flow" changes).

If ALL that is requested is "gnucash provide some means that auditing
could detect if data previous to some data were altered" THIS EXISTS
NOW. It exists by means of burning a read only copy and having that
stored out of the control of whoever maintains the books. Since proper
use involves making such copies for backup purposes in any case, just a
matter of making an extra copy sent elsewhere. Of course in this case
the auditing tools (compare software) would be outside of gnucash.

Is THAT all that is being requested? (I think not*). But if you haven't
thought of it that way, would it satisfy you if gnucash provided such a
tool within gnucash? In other words, don't PREVENT alteration (the the
read/write books) but simply detect if alteration of data entered before
a certain date has taken place (and identify the changes). That's just a
function that takes two files (one the read/write books and one the
frozen books) and a date parameter and determines if any transactions on
or before that date differ.

Michael D Novack

* My sense is that what is wanted is something to lock the read/write
books because these people aren't making backups to read only medium.
Perhaps not making backups at all.