Speeding up gnucash

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Thu Feb 27 16:15:14 EST 2014

On 2/27/2014 10:33, David Carlson wrote:
> On 2/27/2014 4:07 AM, Ian K wrote:
>> I did find when I tried GnuCash using MySql on Windows that the initial
>> it worked fine. If you load up GnuCash then leave it open for a long period
>> that could well be the way to go. For me I tend to go in and out several
>> times a day so the long loading was a showstopper... (as with 2.6.x)

> Before switching to a database I would thoroly (old Chicago Tribune
> style-book spelling) investigate issues such as:
>
> 1: Computer antivirus program sometimes clogs it's pipes.
> 2. Computer RAM clogged by many programs or programs with memory leaks.
> 3. GC clogged by slow-loading reports left open when last closed.

I don't run a local antivirus so it's not that.  The slowdown happens
when it saves (which I do after use but I leave gnucash open) and
occasionally when it's performing an autocomplete.

I'm not currently using any report features so there are no reports open
to slow things down.

It's still slow even when it's the only thing running after a fresh
reboot.  It just seems to come down to heavy disk usage rewriting the
XML file.