I updated to 2.6.1

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Feb 28 06:54:27 EST 2014

On Thursday 27 February 2014 20:06:11 Dean Gibson wrote:
> Unless I did something wrong, I find the new GUI awful (ugly, jerky,
> and slow), to the point that I went back to 2.4.15, and found that it
> now had the new GUI!  I found that the installation of 2.6.1 had
> added .gtkrc-2.0 to my home (Windows) directory, and deleted it, so
> I'm back to a nice, smooth, fast GUI.

That's a surprising statement! I wish I knew what the contents of the .gtkrc-2.0 file was
before you deleted it. That may have given us a good hint on another possible cause of ui
slowness experienced by several users on Windows.

But what is even more odd is that GnuCash does not install a .gtkrc-2.0 file by itself that I'm
aware of. It is normally created only by running the theme selection tool. In fact I even tried
to reinstall gnucash 2.6.1 on my Windows XP test system after removing an empty .gktrc-2.0
file. It didn't return automatically.

> I see that there's a way to set the GUI in 2.6.1, but there must be at
> least 50 themes.  I just want the old one, if possible.  If not
> possible, I'll stay with 2.4.15.

That tool was already available in GnuCash 2.4. It's not new.

Geert