Spendings of this year - without closing a booking year

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Feb 28 08:58:16 EST 2014

Gast1234 wrote:

>Dear readers,
>
>is it possible to see the spendings of this year in the overview of all
>accounts?
>
>I couldn't accomplish that, thus I closed for every year the booking.
>
>Thank you!

If we can overcome the language barrier we can probably help you.

"Spendings" --- do you mean by that your "expenses" for the year? Or do
you mean the total of money leaving your cash account? Not the same
thing, since money can go out of your account for things other than
expenses (purchase of a fixed asset, purchase of a non money investment
asset, loaned out, etc.)

IF as I suspect you meant "expenses" (things that were posted by
transactions to accounts of type "expenses" this is easy. You want the
"Income Statement" report. That's what old accounting books will call
"Profit and Loss Report". It can show all the income and expense account
balances (and the net difference) for any time interval you specify.
Make sure of that last part since what you expect to be included in the
report depends on the date range.

Michael D Novack

PS: In the old days, pen and ink on paper, this "report" was created in
the process of  "closing the books". Instead of closing each income and
expense account directly to equity first closed to another temporary
account of type equity called "profit and loss" and the amount need to
close this account to main equity would be the net profit or loss for
the accounting period. But gnucash can just generate the report without
an actual closing of the books.