I updated to 2.6.1

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Fri Feb 28 16:46:38 EST 2014

On Thursday 27 February 2014 20:06:11 Dean Gibson wrote:

Dean #1: Unless I did something wrong, I find the new GUI awful (ugly,
jerky, and slow), to the point that I went back to 2.4.15, and found
that it now had the new GUI! I found that the installation of 2.6.1 had
added .gtkrc-2.0 to my home (Windows) directory, and deleted it, so I'm
back to a nice, smooth, fast GUI.

Geert replied: That's a surprising statement! I wish I knew what the
contents of the .gtkrc-2.0 file was before you deleted it. That may have
given us a good hint on another possible cause of UI slowness
experienced by several users on Windows.

New: I'm running Windows 8 (64-bit) SP1 on a Dell XPS 8100, 7 CPUs @
2.8GHz, 8GB RAM.

Geert replied: But what is even more odd is that GnuCash does not
install a .gtkrc-2.0 file by itself that I'm aware of. It is normally
created only by running the theme selection tool. In fact I even tried
to reinstall gnucash 2.6.1 on my Windows XP test system after removing
an empty .gktrc-2.0 file. It didn't return automatically.

New: Yes, when the default theme was "ugly, jerky, and slow", I tried
the theme selection tool, but after several trials, the themes changed,
but I couldn't find a satisfactory one.  So that's how .gtkrc-2.0 was
created, but it was slow before I tinkered with the themes.

Dean #1: I see that there's a way to set the GUI in 2.6.1, but there
must be at least 50 themes. I just want the old one, if possible. If not
possible, I'll stay with 2.4.15.

Geert replied: That tool was already available in GnuCash 2.4. It's not new.

New: So, I noticed when I went back.  Installs and uninstalls are pretty
quick, and I don't mind at all running some tests for you. I can
reinstall 2.6.1, tinker w/ the themes, and then capture .gtkrc-2.0 if
you like, now that I know how to undo all the "damage".  However, I
didn't leave .gtkrc-2.0 in place for more than a couple seconds with
2.4.15, so I don't know if it was slow (I can find out).

-- Dean