Entering depreciation

Carpetnailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Wed Jan 1 13:53:47 EST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 13:44 -0500, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Carpetnailz
> <carpetnailz at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> >
> > I want to enter depreciation for my car. What's not clear to me is what
> > I should put into the 'Description' field. I will credit 'Assets:2012
> > VW' for the amount and debit 'Expenses:CarDepreciation'.
> >
> > Do I need to put something in the 'Description' field? Should I just
> > create an entity called 'Our Family'? Is there some standard way to do
> > this in accounting?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> You could try reading here to see if this helps you:
>
> http://www.accountingcoach.com/depreciation/explanation

I think I understand that stuff. My question was much more specific:
Using the GnuCash system, one put a name in the Description
field--either who received the payment or who the $$ came from. So when
entering a depreciation entry, what name if any do I put in that field?
Or can/should I just leave it blank?

BTW-I know I'm ignoring the 'cost principle' by not making a "contra
account." But that's neither here nor there with respect to my question.

Thanks.