Entering depreciation

Carpetnailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Wed Jan 1 14:23:01 EST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 14:15 -0500, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Carpetnailz
> <carpetnailz at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 13:44 -0500, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:

> >> You could try reading here to see if this helps you:
> >>
> >> http://www.accountingcoach.com/depreciation/explanation
> >>
> > I think I understand that stuff. My question was much more specific:
> > Using the GnuCash system, one put a name in the Description
> > field--either who received the payment or who the $$ came from. So when
> > entering a depreciation entry, what name if any do I put in that field?
> > Or can/should I just leave it blank?
> >
> > BTW-I know I'm ignoring the 'cost principle' by not making a "contra
> > account." But that's neither here nor there with respect to my question.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Put in the Description field whatever you want ... something that
> would identify this auto depreciation from any other assets you are
> depreciating.
>
> Also, maybe someone else can jump in with a different suggestion.

OK. Thanks. It even seems to work if I leave the field blank. I just
wasn't used to doing that. I guess with 'manual' journal entries one
doesn't have a field there asking to be filled in.

I guess maybe the 'recipient' of this expense is the universe or maybe
the second law of thermodynamics....

Thanks again.