Starting GnuCash from desktop shortcut or menu entry in KDE

Robert L Brush III bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 15:36:17 EST 2014

This is what I do:

1.) Make a desktop file, set permissions, and move to the correct
location for your environment.

echo '[Desktop Entry]
Name=GnuCash 2.6
Terminal=false
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gnucash-icon-256x256.png
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Office;Finance;
Exec=/usr/bin/gnucash2r6
Comment=Manage your finances, accounts, and
investments'>gnucash2r6.desktop

chmod 644 gnucash2r6.desktop
cp gnucash2r6.desktop /usr/share/applications/

Create a link from the executable file to the name used in the desktop
file.  This might be an extra step for you, I only use it because of
multiple versions.  I need to have separate icons for stable, distro,
and latest, this allows me to relink to a new version, and if something
goes really bad, relink to the old version without downtime.  Also you
might find different configurations install to different locations, so
good to check this matches your system.

ln -s /usr/local/bin/gnucash /usr/bin/gnucash2r6

I usually copy the svg file, but I couldn't find so I guess this will
do..
cp /usr/local/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon-256x256.png /usr/share/pixmaps/

For more information on desktop shortcuts, check this out:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

Good luck!  Bob Brush