Script to categorize imported transactions

Sandeep Mukherjee mukherjee.sandeep at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 23:08:32 EST 2014

Hello,

I use GnuCash to import a lot of OFX/QFX transactions, typically
credit-card statements. With Bayesian-matching disabled, GnuCash adds the
corresponding split to "Imbalance-USD". I want to automatically categorize
the transactions. Bayesian matching didn't work well for me, so I wrote a
script to fix the gnucash file. So far it's worked well for me. If you want
to try it out, it's here:

https://github.com/sandeepmukherjee/gnucash-fiximports

>From the README file:

When GnuCash imports a OFX/QFX file, it adds all transactions to an
"Imbalance" account, typically "Imbalance-USD" (unless Bayesian matching is
enabled). This script allows you to modify the target account according to
rules you create. For example, you can specify that a credit-card
transaction with a description starting with "PIZZA" be categorized as
"Expenses:Dining". To do this, you need to create a "rules" file first. See
rules.txt for more information on the format. This script can search in the
description or the memo fields. For best results, disable Bayesian matching.

You must have python-bindings enabled.

This is currently in beta state; testing feedback will be appreciated!

Regards,
Sandeep