Closing Out 2013

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jan 2 13:42:10 EST 2014

On Thu, January 2, 2014 12:21 pm, Parker Jones wrote:
>> From: mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
>> On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 04:36:56 +1300
>> > Parker Jones <zoubidoo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > It has happened several times that I've added a transaction and
>> inadvertently entered the wrong date, somewhere in the past.  Since
>> there is no undo function, I've had to hunt down the transaction which
>> was a waste of time.  Does this only happen to me?
>> >
>> > I wonder whether the ability to lock previous years, prohibiting
>> changes in the past, is a feature anybody else would appreciate?  Or
>> at least, a pop-up saying "You are about to add a transaction to a
>> previous year, are you sure Y/N?"
>> >
>> If you've reconciled your books up to the close of year, (of course you
>> did), and you haven't disabled warnings then that's exactly what does
>> happen.  The warning pop-up I mean.
>
> Thanks for pointing out that gnucash already does this. Obviously I'm not
> doing something right, I'll have to look into it.

It will pop up if you attempt to modify an existing, reconciled
transaction.  It will NOT pop up if you create a new transaction with an
old date.

HOWEVER if you have reconciled everything you can find it pretty easily by
opening the errant register and using View -> Filter by... to hide all
reconciled transactions.  It should show you the errant transaction at the
top of the register easily.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745