2.4.14 Imports & Other Issues

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Sun Jan 5 08:25:39 EST 2014

Is anyone else having multiple issues with 2.4.14?  I know one or two issues
have already been posted, and I haven't experienced either of them, but I am
experiencing a few of my own...

For instance:

1) First time I tried to import a QIF file (1/3), it created several
duplicate entries with the transfer column blank (not imbalance) even though
the transaction matcher showed those transactions as matching to the
existing transactions and I had U+R ticked on them.  It also wouldn't let me
modify the entries, saying they were being edited in another register.
Unfortunately, I ignored this, saving and closing, then re-openening and
manually correcting the entries and marking them cleared because it was an
acocunt I rarely use and a format I rarely use (mostly use OFX).

2) First time I tried to import an OFX file (1/5, after several additional
manual entries following [1]), I had to match an income account that was
previously remembered, and then that income account showed the information
for the other account in its description.

3) Second time I tried to import an OFX file (1/5, different account), it
did the same thing as [1] (fortunately only for one entry), and the account
then showed a balance of $0 for all lines starting on that one and
continuing to the end of the list of transactions.

4) The OFX file I was trying to import happened to have stock/security
entries in it, and they all had to be matched to accounts even though most
of them were existing securities that were previously matched.

5) At least one of the securities (that happened to be new with this import)
showed a 0 balance in all rows in spite of multiple buy transactions *this
securitiy had a later date than the entry in [2], and was purchased with
cash from that register, but that doesn't make it any more obvious to me how
such a thing could happen.

6) The OFX file also happened to have an expired/worthless security, which
sent $0 back to the register mentioned in [2] & [5].  This entry had the
transfer column right but the deposit and withdrawal columns were blank.
Possibly because of this, deleting the duplicate entry mentioned in [2] did
not cause the balances to populate.

7) In spite of other posts on the list that lead me to have some hope,
closing and opening the registers did not cause the numbers to show up
appropriatel.  Further, I closed GnuCash, which asked me to save, and when I
re-opened, all of the entries that showed 0 on the balance were gone, as if
they weren't there when I saved the account (this didn't happen in [1])

Given all of those issues, I decided to go ahead and revert back to the
previous version.  Turs out I never ran 2.4.13 (never even downloaded it),
and never could run 2.4.12 or 2.4.12(r22907) because both would lock up in
WinXP when importing OFX files, so I had to revert back to 2.4.11.  I can't
really re-test [1] because I don't want to try to figure out which manual
entries need re-entered, but I did restore the last file from 1/3 to be my
main file and proceeded to re-test [2] through [5].  None of the issues
re-occurred (although the blank deposit and withdrawal lines for the
expired/worthless security mentioned in [6] were apparently normal, as it is
still that way, but with a balance still showing like there should be).

I know the other issues recently discussed for this recently released
version have lead to "file a bug report," but the release notification said
that it was the final 2.4 release, and some comments regarding 2.6 in this
list make it appear that different components are used for several things,
making it hard to say if these issues would carry over to 2.6 or not o begin
with.  That having been said, I'm not really in a good position to report
these issues in a bug report, because I'm not sure how to create new QIF/OFX
files to reproduce them, but even if I was, is there really any point in
filing bug reports on 2.4.14?