remembering & printing payee addresses?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Jan 10 13:50:50 EST 2014

Hi, Derek:

On 1/10/2014 10:06 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> writes:
>
>>        Thanks for your reply.
>>

>>        Would you know of some other stand alone accounting software
>> that would support writing checks while remembering payee addresses
>> that can also import data from MS Money 99?
>>

>>        The Wikipedia article on "Comparison of accounting software"
>> lists 5 different packages with a "personal" market focus (GnuCash,
>> Grisbi, HomeBank, JGnash, KMyMoney)
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_accounting_software). At
>> least one (HomeBank) does not support writing checks at all (or didn't
>> in 2008).  JGnash reportedly does.  I don't know about the others.
> Sorry, I've never used anything else than GnuCash since I started with
> it about 14 years ago.  So alas I don't have an answer for you.
>
> If this feature is so important to you then you could always code in the
> feature and donate it.  I don't know offhand the right way to do it;
> there isn't a good place to store the information or even a good object
> to attach the address.
>
> We DO have an Address sub-object abstraction available, but it's not a
> primary object in its own right.

       Thanks for the invitation.  To accomplish this, we might want to
link GnuCash with one of the most popular standard address books like
that of Gmail or to a local database address table.  Then if that
feature were enabled, it could automatically link to the appropriate
file and supply the address there if it were available. To simplify
programming, the space for Address when printing checks could be display
only, with a refresh button inviting the user to add or change the
address in the reference database but not do it in GnuCash.

       Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with either C or Scheme, and it
would probably require more work than I'm ready to devote to this.

       Thanks for all you do to make such great software freely
available and usable by others.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves