How to keep windows in two GnuCash files open at the same time

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 14:13:05 EST 2014

On 1/12/2014 11:56 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Sunday 12 January 2014 18:39:19 Henning Jacobs wrote:
>> Hi Porus,
>>
>> I had the same problem when I wanted to compare my "old" GnuCash
>> accounts file with the new one.
>> In Linux I just started two completely independent GnuCash instances
>> (executing "gnucash" on command line twice) to be able to open two
>> files at the same time.
>>
>> - Henning
> You should be able to to exactly the same thing in Windows. But not from within GnuCash
> directly. Instead you should open the account files from the windows explorer by double-
> clicking them. That way you can open two separate files at the same time.
>
> Geert

I have found that it is possible to have two instances running
simultaneously with different data files in windows, but I have not
tried adding data.

If I recall correctly, there is some caveat about both files sharing the
same set of preferences, which may mean that one may overwrite the other
when the files are closed.  Those would probably be the properties
accessed by using File => Properties.  Perhaps someone else can
elaborate about this aspect.

David C