How to keep windows in two GnuCash files open at the same time

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Jan 12 15:35:28 EST 2014

On Sunday 12 January 2014 13:31:45 David Carlson wrote:

> I should have clicked on Help in GnuCash.  I was wrong.  the
> properties accessed under File => Properties are unique to each data
> file.

Indeed.

> Conversely, the preferences accessed under Edit => Preferences are per
> user.  Thus they apply to all data files, and so if any of those
> values are changed while two instances are running the changes could
> be lost when the instances are closed.

I would not expect this behaviour. The way the preference system works is that if you change a
preference in one open instance, the change will propagate instantly into the other open
instance.
If that's not the case on Windows, this is a bug in GSettings on that platform.

> If one wants any of those preferences to be different from file to
> file, one would have to set up GnuCash in different user accounts or
> on different computers, then take care to be logged into the computer
> under the preferred user name when opening the program.

That is correct.

> David C

Geert