Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:18:10 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2014, at 9:13 AM, porus pavri <pdpavri at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My question is: I want to compare the transactions posted in these two
> > control accounts, so I need to view these two "control" accounts (which
> are
> > lying in two separate files or account books) in the form of two windows
> > which I can view using Alt-tab, just like we toggle between two files in
> > Windows.  Can I do that here, if so how ?
>
> Just open two instances of GnuCash and open one of the files in each.
> You’ll
> want to select “New File” when you open the second instance and it whines
> about the lock file.

Unless I have misunderstood the situation I believe GnuCash will only
complain about the lock file if you open two instances of the SAME data
file. I open two, three and more (I have six active) GnuCash data files at
the same time, one for each entity I manage. In the rare instance I need to
compare two of them it requires only that I have a large enough monitor to
keep them side-by-side.

The easiest way I have found is to create a GnuCash [entity_name] shortcut
to each file. This varies by operating system. For example, in Ubuntu with
the Unity window manager, you might create an edited .desktop ("dot
desktop") file with all the instances in it, open it, and "lock" it to the
launcher so you can right-click launch separate instances, one for each
file.

In other linux versions running straight GNOME or KDE you create separate
.desktop files to launch each instance, and keep them on your desktop or in
a launcher menu. I believe the process for Windows is very similar.

I created a page (linked from http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu ) stating
how I created Unity shortcuts in Ubuntu.
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Unity_Shortcuts