Importing payroll information

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 13 14:13:53 EST 2014

Hi,

"R. Victor Klassen" <rvklassen at gmail.com> writes:

> OK, I’m close.  I can’t say the QIF documentation helped an awful lot.
>
> What I now have is the following:

[snip]

> Notes:
> 1) When I import, I get an extraneous semi-blank split entry (0 value, account
> Chequing Account, memo blank).   I have tried various ways to eliminate that
> line, as it appears a  blank line with a zero amount on the cheque stub.   Any
> idea how to eliminate this, other than manually deleting the split line after
> importing?

QIF always includes a "default account" which is the "current account"
of the transaction.  That's the blank split you get..  The only fix is
to include that in the transaction itself (e.g. the "Net Amount" split).
And make the default account the Net Amount checking account.  I.e.,
don't make it a zero-sum transaction in QIF itself; assign part of it to
the default account.

> 2) The only way I seemed to be able to prevent GNUCash from asking me for the
> primary account name was to use it as the file name.  Is there another way?

Nope, this *is* the way.  The file name *is* the "default account"
QifAccount name.  Then you can map that QifAccount to whatever GnuCash
(Asset/Liability) Account you wish.