My Gnucash has changed - making changes

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:02:12 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM, David Ryder <dnryder at btinternet.com> wrote:

>    Ubuntu 12.04
>    I opened Gnucash yesterday - things had changed. I installed 2.4.11
>    some time ago (over a year?) but now it is saying it is 2.6
>    However all my columns sizes had changed - but the most annoying thing
>    is the pop up box every time I change the reconciled from 'n' to 'c'
>    asking me if I want to make the change. The options are 'Remember the
>    answer and don't ask me again' and 'Remember the answer for this
>    session'. Seems silly to me for the reconciliation column when changing
>    'n' to 'c' but sensible if changing 'y' to 'n'...
>    I _do_ want to be asked if I change a 'y' to a 'n' in the reconciled
>    column - so I can't choose 'don't ask me again'.
>    But I _don't_ want asking if I, say, change 'n' to 'c' or add a
>    reference in the Description or Num columns.
>    It was all working fine last week.
>    Can anybody tell me if this popup is per column or universal to any
>    changes?
>     As I had obviously got this working the way I wanted it some time ago
>    I'm hesitant because Gnucash has apparently updated itself (I didn't
>    know it did).

You apparently installed GnuCash using the GetDeb repository, which
automatically offered GnuCash (as well as all other software in the
repository) as soon as it was added.

I don't see an easy way to revert to the previous version using GetDeb, but
for future reference you might want to know how to disable the repository
-- go to Ubuntu Software Center and choose Edit --> Software Sources. Click
the "Other Software" tab, and you should see GetDeb (or whatever repository
you are using) and you can un-check it to deactivate it.

You might consider keeping the GetDeb repository active only long enough to
install whatever particular package you are interested in, then deactivate
it. When you are ready to install an update, check GetDeb to see if it's
there, activate it in Software Sources, refresh, carefully update ONLY the
package(s) you intend to replace, then deactivate it again.

I don't know of any particular problem with using GetDeb, but it does
(intentionally) counter the Ubuntu policy of not rolling out any functional
changes between releases. (Yes there are some exceptions even in Ubuntu
nowadays.)