Phantom transactions appear in report

Valerio Monti gedeonedepaperoni at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:01:39 EST 2014

Hello everybody,
many thanks to the developers of GnuCash for this useful tool.

I recently installed GnuCash version 2.6.0 on my Windows Seven Laptop and I
created a small set of GnuCash accounts to get acquainted with the program.
Some days ago my pc suddenly stopped while Gnucash was open. I restarted
the Pc and tried to open the Gnucash file: I got a warning saying that the
file was locked and I was able to open it as a read-only file. Since
everything seemed to work properly I saved a copy of the file, overwriting
the old locked version. Then I was able to work normally, adding and
deleting transactions and so. However a few days after I created a report
of an account and some transactions that were previously deleted were
listed in it (they appeared with no amount however, so that the balance is
correct). I inspected directly the xml file with the text editor and there
was no evident (to me) difference in the xml tags between the phantom
transactions and the others, so I don't understand why they do not appear
in the normal account tab. I tried also the tool 'Check and repair' with no
luck.

Of course the relationship between my pc crash and this problem is just a
conjecture of mine. Moreover I know that there automatic backups of gnucash
files, so in case of another crash I won't open the locked file as a
read-only but I will open one of the most recent backups and insert again
the last transaction. I am not asking how to get rid of these transaction
(I have inserted just a few transactions for test so I can create a new
file from scratch). My question is: I have a gnucash file which is
corrupted but this emerges only when you perform some operations and you
inspect carefully the output. Is there another way to be sure that a file
is correctly formed? I realize that a copy of my file could be necessary
for detecting the problem so I can provide a copy to the developers.

Best wishes,
Valerio