Documentation

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Jan 18 14:23:54 EST 2014

On 01/18/2014 10:23 AM, Cristian Marchi wrote:
> Il 18/01/2014 18:58, John R. Sowden ha scritto:
>> Is a copy of the doc available in a format that I can modify for my use?
> Sure, as it is open source and licensed under GPL. The source (and
> editable) files of GnuCash documentation are available in the git docs
> repo [1]
> The documentation is written in docbook (an widely used XML format for
> documentation).
> A server builds automatically html, pdf, epub and mobi documentation
> files starting from the xml files in the git repo.
>
> Regards
> Cristian
>
> [1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs

I went to that location, but all I found was little pieces of the guide
or help files.  I will spend years bringing all that together into a
document.  Then, when it is changed, since it is locked into special
formats, I will have to start all over (the doc I saw was for version
2.5, as best as I could tell).  Is there an ASCII format (open
unstructured, unformatted text)?

The kinds of modifications that I want to make are:
deleting the references to quicken/quick books (I don't use them).
deleting the references to currency changes (I only use one currency).
deleting the references to on line banking services, etc. (I don't
integrate on line accounting into my GL).
deleting references to personal finance (my use is for my business).
add examples of my use into howtos
rewording explanations of how to deal with reports (bring up a
report-get an error which I have to figure out means to go elsewhere and
set up the report-do the setup-go back and get the report).
Explanation of how to use gc for my specific business, including
references to my other accounting documents.

References was made to "external tools" to convert to different formats,
but it seems they referred only to the 4 locked ones.

Am I the only one who has these thoughts?

John