gnu cash crashing

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jan 20 12:00:50 EST 2014

On Mon 20 January 14 16:45:04 Edward Hardy wrote:
> Also, there's a .lck file when the app closes/crashes. Is that supposed
> to be there?

Hi Edward.

The .lck is created by GnuCash when it opens the data file - it is a simple
way to try to prevent more than one user looking at the file at any one time.

GC should clear the lock when it closes, but in your case it dies without ever
getting chance to delete the .lck file.

The presence of that .lck is what triggers the "open read only etc" dialogue -
with a crashing GC, it is safe to ignore it....

HTH,
Maf.

> On 19/01/2014 21:34, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 January 2014 20:31:19 Edward Hardy wrote:
> > > Will do. Sorry to be making some errors of protocol here :-)
> > >

> > > Update: installed GC on another machine and opened a previous version
> > >
> > > of the account file prior to crash. No problems so far, so it appears
> > >
> > > that somehow my accounts file became corrupted.
> >
> > You can open that previous version of your account file on your first
> > machine as well. Just double-click the file and then save it over the
> > corrupted file.
> >
> > Geert

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542