Migration to GnuCash 2.6 from 2.4 problem with display of currency

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Jan 20 14:26:32 EST 2014

--On January 20, 2014 10:45:53 AM +0000 Nana Kwadwo Owusu
<kwadwo.owusu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thx Mike,
>
> Maybe that is the reason. Unfortunately on my screen I do not get the
> ₵ symbol but rather something else namely a rectangle with the
> numbers 2, 0, 0, and 5 inscribed in it(please see attachment). I am
> using the MacOS version of GnuCash on a Macbook Air with OS X version
> 10.9.1 (Mavericks).
>
> It is true that the ₵ or “cent” symbol was and, in some
> quarters, continues to be used as a symbol for our currency the Cedi.
> However about 7 years ago we had a re-denomination of our currency,
> and in banking circles(local and international standards) the old
> cedi symbol is GHC, and the new ghana cedi is designated as GHS, both
> using normal English Alphabet. In fact that is what is stated in the
> pull-down menu for currencies in GnuCash 2.4 and 2.6, so I do not
> understand why this funny rectangular icon with the numbers 2,0,0,5
> inscribed on it should appear instead of a normal Capital S.

This would imply that your locale isn't set correctly.  What sort of
system are you running on?  Linux?  Windows?  Mac?  I actually had this
problem myself recently and setting my locale to "en_US.UTF-8" fixed
it.  The key part is "UTF-8".  That worked fine for the Gnucash running
under X window, but I couldn't get it to work right for the native Mac
version just now, so things may not be that simple for that version.

You can also change the symbol for any currency to whatever you want in
GnuCash 2.6.  Open the security editor on the Tools meny, select "Show
National Currencies", and edit the currency you care about.  There will
be a "Display symbol" field in which you can enter whatever you want.
I believe this is saved on a per-file basis so you will have to change
it for each GnuCash file you have.

          Mike