2.6: Changing accounting period does nothing.

Graham P Davis hacker at scarlet-jade.com
Thu Jan 23 01:37:55 EST 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:54:29 -0600
David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/2014 12:10 PM, Cristian Marchi wrote:
> >
> > Il 22/01/2014 16.46, Graham P Davis ha scritto:
> >> I just changed the accounting period via edit - preferences and
> >> using absolute dates. I was a bit concerned that the only button
> >> available on the panel was 'close' and found that I was right to
> >> be so as the change of dates was not saved.
> >>
> >> I've bypassed the problem by changing the period within the report
> >> I was producing. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? As I
> >> only have to change this once per year, I don't recall what
> >> buttons were available on the preferences panel last year.
> >>

> > The accounting period in the preferences affects only the summarybar
> > (which is the bar on the bottom of the GnuCash window where Profits,
> > Net Assets etc... are displayed) and not the reports; the change is
> > immediate and there is no need to have a confirmation button (just
> > change the accounting period and look at the summarybar). To change
> > reports period you should do what you've done: change the dates in
> > the report options. It was the same for the 2.4 version of GnuCash.
> >
> > Regards
> > Cristian

> Now I am getting confused by these recent messages.  I thought that
> many of the reports had date selection choices like 'beginning or end
> of the current or previous accounting period' which would
> automatically slide along the calendar as time passed without needing
> to pick a new calendar date every time.  Have those choices been
> removed from the 2.6 release series?

No, David, they are still there. I must confess that I'm with you on
this one in being confused by Cristian's comment. Mind you, I'm
easily confused. :-)  Why would the option be there if there was no
point in using it?

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit); KDE 4.12.1; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;