Clearing incompletely paid invoices in the business module (in gnucash 2.5.9)

Guido Flohr guido.flohr at imperia.bg
Thu Jan 23 11:55:13 EST 2014

Hi,

I am using a git checkout b7b5128+.

I had a little credit (36.50) originating from an overpaid invoice from
last year with one of my vendors.  Now the first invoice from this
vendor arrived (69.00) and I have paid only the difference (32.50) by
bank transfer.

I then imported the bank transactions, and had a hard time assigning the
transaction as a payment in such a way that the invoice was marked as
"paid".  What I did was:

I selected the customer, and the associated account (that had a balance
of 36.50).  I was then presented a choice of three documents to pick
from.  The invoice over 69.00, and two pre-payments of 32.50 and 36.50
respectively.

After several unsuccessful tries I selected the invoice and changed the
sum of the payment from 32.50 to 69.00.  The resulting transaction then
contained an imbalance split of 36.50 that I deleted.

All balances are now correct and the invoice is finally marked as paid.
But is that really the intended way to handle such a case?

Thanks,
Guido
--
Cantanea EOOD