Memos / Notes on Transactions

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri Jan 24 14:59:14 EST 2014

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:52:39 -0000
"M J Richards" <m.j.richards at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I am evaluating Gnucash as a potential replacement for my old
> Microsoft Money. I was surprised to see that there are no
> notes /memos on transations even though they are allowed for in QIF
> files, and are exported from money.
>

> I have made great use of the notes to determine what has been
> purchased from a supplier.  When I worked as a ledger clerk , many
> years ago, each entry had to be accompanied by a description as well
> as the supplier  from whom we purchased items.
>

> IS there any way of adding and importing notes for individual
> transaction?
>

> Cheers
>

> John Richards

Gnucash has a place for notes.
I can't comment on importing notes from elsewhere - it is many years
since I left my previous software and imported into Gnucash.
A recurring theme is to not bother with import, but make a clean start
at the beginning of the financial year, perhaps run books in parallel
for a period until used to the new system, and then just leave the old
books as an archive.